HippyMom - An Evolution of Female Community Parenting Board

Go Back   HippyMom - An Evolution of Female Community Parenting Board > Out of the Box > What's Cookin', Good Lookin'?

Share This Forum!  

What's Cookin', Good Lookin'? Meal planning, kitchen advice, recipes for disaster and all things food. Om nom nom!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2010, 10:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Heidi

Yummie thanks for the recipes. I am definetly going to give them a try.

Earthy no we do not have good food banks around here.

We are not hurting so bad. I am doing really good with the coupons and the money makers. The hard part is when I do not have money to put forward to save big bucks.
Old 08-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
Earthy

I bet you could sub pinto beans in this recipe Red Bean Dip
Old 09-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
bakes vegan cookies

StormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know her
Ok, this is a facebook post from a vegan friend of mine - she made "beanloaf" (instead of meatloaf) - it sounded tasty. Here goes:

I threw together a can of pintos, a can of kidney beans, some bread crumbs, some cooked grain (I used cracked wheat but you could use rice), some sautéed onions, green and red bell pepper, corn, tomato sauce, a healthy dose of cumin, oregano, salt and pepper. Mushed it together with a potato masher, put in a greased 9 by 13 pan, top with a mix of barbecue sauce, ketchup and salsa. bake at 375 until edges are brown and crispy.

All her recipes sound like this..."some," and "a while," etc. If you can decipher them, they usually come out good, though.

Also, there is a recipe for spaghetti and bean balls in the Veganomicon...let me see if I can find it online. If not, I'll type it out.

H.
StormyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
bakes vegan cookies

StormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herStormyWeather spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know her
Ok, here's a couple of different versions of them - the first one is heavy on the substitutions.

My only tips: DON'T succumb to the temptation to make them too big - they'll be mushy in the middle. Also, add a wee bit of flour, or an egg, to assist in preserving "structural integrity."

An Omnivore Cooks the Veganomicon: Spaghetti and Beanballs - Bittman/Veganomicon Mashup

Bean Balls Recipe

H.
StormyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
PeaceMamaLove

Yum

Beans and Rice (How I make it)

cooked beans
cooked brown rice
raw baby spinach
evoo
red wine vinegar
finely minced onion
unrefined sea salt

Mix beans and rice together, season with salt to taste. Add red wine vinegar and evoo..I dress it like I would a salad (be sure to add salt and rwv first so they can get into the rice before adding the evoo) not too wet, to taste I guess. Put the raw spinach on the bottom of the bowl, add the hot beans and rice, top with finely minced onions and an extra drizzle of evoo.

The spinach slightly wilts from the hot food...O how we loooooove it. I add a grilled chicken breast cut into strips on top for dh since he feels like he's not full without some type of meat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg food001.jpg (214.1 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by PeaceMamaLove; 09-15-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Traveler

BlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herBlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herBlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herBlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herBlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herBlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herBlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herBlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herBlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herBlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know herBlackBunny spreads the power of positive thought and impacts all who know her
Oh these are all so exciting!
BlackBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #17 (permalink)
Heidi

Yum I cannot wait to try these.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Tamara

So much yummy stuff in this thread!

I looove this: Smoky White Bean Quesadillas I have made it with kidneybeans, some kind of black beans and chickpeas mixed with another type of bean. Don`t remember which.

I always top the beanmixture with caramelized onions, before I "cover" with the other tortilla.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #19 (permalink)
PeaceMamaLove

I edited my OP to show a pic. It's what I'm having for lunch

Tags
bean, pinto